AEE National Capitol Chapter’s Annual Community Service Event 2022
South East Chapter
October 14, 2021 @ 12:30 pm - October 14, 2022 @ 3:00 pm
Please join other AEE National Capitol Chapter members as we support watershed cleanup in this historical place. The nearby Abner Cloud House is the oldest building on the canal, dating back to 1802. The C&O Canal Trust has kindly offered us a tour of Abner Cloud House at 12:30pm. Enjoy walking and collaborating along waterfront trails while cleaning up trash items in the area. We will adhere COVID-19 guidelines with social distancing. Details will follow after your registration. Please be prepared with appropriate footwear, and clothing for picking up debris. Globes and trash bags will be provided on site.
Don’t miss this opportunity to be a part of AEE NCC community service activities in our nation’s historic Potomac river watershed.
Provided by the Trust and Park Project
– supplies such as work gloves, trash bags, trash “grabbers,” etc.
– PPE such as face masks and hand sanitizer
– Disposal of bagged trash
– Bottled Water
Volunteer Packing List
– Close-toed supportive shoes or boots are required
– Loose, comfortable clothing appropriate for work and the weather
– Note: many people prefer to wear long (light, breathable) pants and long sleeves to protect themselves from the sun, ticks, etc. We don’t require this and leave it up to individual comfort levels.
– (Optional) Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, chapstick, etc.
Introduction of Fletcher’s Boathouse
Fletcher’s Boathouse has been in this location since the 1850s and is renowned as a fishing and recreational area. After 145 years of business, the fourth generation of the Fletcher family retired in 2004 and Guest Services Incorporated, a National Park Service concessionaire, assumed responsibility for the operation of the concessions. The area surrounding the boat house was then officially named Fletcher’s Cove, though most people still call it Fletcher’s Boat House.
While many fishing enthusiasts come to Fletcher’s Cove for the spring run of shad, perch, and rockfish, many other people come to kayak the Potomac River, and bike, hike, and run the C & O Canal and other trails along the river all year round. Fletcher’s Boathouse rents rowboats, canoes, kayaks, bikes, and paddle boards.
Please see our event archive here for older events.